Wednesday, November 17, 2010

An very eventful day ...

Sorry I haven't complete my japan trip log ... truth is ... i haven't even finish downloading all the pictures from the lumix. Then the thoughts of uploading the photos into blogger makes me hesitate ... I hate how the uploading messes my text and having to rearrange the photos and text ... *shudder* maybe I should just get around to putting the photos in first then the text ... but :P i always gets the order wrong and the last picture always end up being first ... ah well ... I guess I could always put my limited html knowledge to use :P

Anyway ... about today ... what I originally planned for was a glorious day of baking ... lots and lots of baking ... butter cookies, fruit cakes and oreo cheesecakes ... well, plan is a plan right, and I didn't put that into action ... but i still had fun ... lots and lots fun ... with my kids (and yes, the hubby as well) ...

The hubby had been wanting to bring the kids to east coast for the longest time ... and I wasn't keen on it because I envisioned sand, dirt, and stinky toilets. I dislike dark, danky, stinky and dirty toilets and those public toilets at east coast park is everything that. So, the hubby was raring to go today and so I went along with it. As usual the hubby complained that I overpacked. I brought along towels, extra clothes, toys for the beach and even a beach ball. What I forgot was, their sunblock and hats.

This is #2 munching on his rice crackers on the way there ... I think he was pretty hungry ... he kept asking for more!


We grabbed breakfast at the Mac's drive-in ... geez ... the place was packed. We used one of the BBQ pits tables for the breakfast and #2 finished 1 hashbrown by himself. The indication of how much he likes it was how he grabbed my wrist and refused to let go, pulling it towards his mouth when he has finished the previous bit. V had her happy meal but only finished 1 hot cake and then proceeded to munch on her hashbrown.

We then proceeded to the beach ... #2 was gung ho about it. I remember when V had her first feel of sand, she complained non-stop about it and how dirty it was. #2 had none of it and in fact make a dash for the water! Soon, the kids and the daddy were busy digging ... I think they really enjoyed themselves ...




A quick family (minus mummy becuz mummy is holding the camera/ phone) to remember by ...

After we washed up the kids, we proceeded to Marina Square ... Ian actually fell asleep on the way there, but the moment we entered the shopping mall, he was wide awake ... and he was actually in a good mood! V was just happy to have some place to run ... we went to get some "shoes" for the kids because both kids were outgrowing their shoes (namely their crocs) ... V chose something and then after I paid and got them to cut of the tags, she came back and didn't want the shoes anymore ... she went "I just want to try mah" *argh*

As usual, lunch was at hotpot culture and both kids were having fun ... making funny faces and then calling out to each other across the table.


Then ... we headed home ... and we all took a nap!!!!

Dinner was a simple affair ... I made my own version of clam chowder ... I'll give the recipe at the end ... The kids had it mixed with #2's macaroni so well, they enjoyed dinner so much that #2 kept asking for MORE ...

Then after dinner (while the kids played in the room, we watched the origins of Wolverine (I am a closet X-men fan, I read their comics since I was a kid, think 6 or 7 years old and then stopped when I was in sec school, which was like ... 20 years ago ... ) and the hubby wanted to bring V to coffeebean (somewhat their Friday night routine). #2 was still wide awake so I grabbed him along ... They were sleepy, but V was almost yawning her head off. Since this was the first time #2 came with us to coffeebean, he was more "awake" and apprehensive. In case you are wondering what the kids had at coffeebean, V's usual order is the carrot cake. Then the 2 kids had ice, yes _ICE_. It's strange ... I wonder if it had to do with the craving for ice when I was pregnant with them :P They just emjoyed chomping on ice, and coffeebean's ice were just the right size for them.


Well, it's almost the end of the story, but this is my favourite bit ... it's against the traffic rules, but I let #2 ride on my lap on the way back :P He was seated facing me, so that I can support his neck and back. He decided to hug me, and started called me "marmee". When I answered back "Ian Ian", he said "marmee" again. It went on for a while, then he laughed and popped up and kissed me! I think he really enjoyed himself today and it was his way of showing his happiness. What a nice ending to the day ... =)


My version of Clam Chowder (slightly runny, not that thick creamy one)
Ingredients
1 can of Swanson's chicken broth
2 cans of clams (drained, liquid set aside)
1 big onion, diced/chopped finely
1 carrot, diced/ chopped finely
1 cup of frozen corn kernels (optional, and more if you like)
potatoes (5 small ones, more if you like)
300g of ham ends (buy from cold storage or the marketplace, they sell it at $1.39 per 100g)
1/2 cup plain/ all purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
1. Cooked the carrots in salted boiling water for about 5 minutes. Rinse, drain and set aside.
2. In a soup pot, add the chicken broth and reserved liquids from the canned clams. Using the chicken broth can, measure and add 2 cans of water. Heat to boil.
3. Melt butter in a frying pan, add onion and turn to low heat. Cook the onions till translucent (about 4 to 5 minutes, depending on how finely the onions were chopped).
4. By this time, the pot of chicken/ clam broth should be boiling. Add the corn kernels, potatoes and carrots.
5. Once the onions are ready, add flour and stir into a thick paste. Cook the paste for about 5 minutes then add the ham to cook for another minute or so (be careful not to burn). Once the soup is boiling, add the onion/ham/ flour mixture, stirring until the flour is dissolved. Add milk.
6. Bring to boil and then simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Add the clam meat and then bring to boil and then turning off the heat.

Serves at least 4 adults.

Note: I didn't add salt





0 comments: