Friday, September 08, 2006

Ouch! It hurts!

The first week after discovering the pregnancy was rather uneventful, except for the constant minor cramping and the very sore lower abdomen.

I went back for my next appointment with Dr Y (on a monday) and was given a 1 day medical leave, since I was fatigued from the constant cramping. I had another blood test taken (pain!!!) again. The pain basically meant I was sleeping throughout the day (Tuesday), since I was just very exhausted. This is including using a hot water bottle constantly throughout the day to help relieve the pain.

Then, on Wednesday pre-dawn, I was woken up by the sudden urge to pee. As I got up and did my business in the loo, I realised with a huge "OH NO!!!!" that it was my mega cramps that was going to hit me really soon (weird as it seems, the mega cramps favourite timing is always from 4am to 7am, I had it only once at 11am). I quickly scampered back to bed, woke up my hubby, instructed him to get me a hot water bottle and my painkillers. In panic, we couldn't remember the last location of my trusty synflex, so I had to settle for ponstan to relieve the pain instead. I gave up on the hot water bottle and had to get him rub my tummy to help relieve the pain. I was so worried that I was going to miscarriage that I got him to call the Dr Y hotline (he has a emergency number - I guess some call centre) and asked him what we should do. When Dr Y called back, I was still very much in pain (ponstan basically had little effect on me, that's why I was switched over to synflex). He arranged to meet us at Mt Alvernia A & E. We arrived early since there's was nothing much for me to do at home and by the time we arrive, the pain had subsided but my lower abdomen was still very sore. They wanted to give me some painkiller jab but I didn't want it since I had already taken ponstan. So finally Dr Y arrived (looking a bit dishevelled and about 10 minutes later than he said he would be there) and he had to do a scope for me. It was more painful than usual since it wasn't the proper "bed" for me to be on and I was too much in pain to "relax" properly. He said there was some fluid in the womb, which could mean 2 things, 1) an infection in the womb or 2) an etopic pregnancy. I had to had my blood drawn again in order to determine what it was. The blood test (done by the nurse) was so painful I actually cried (yes, tears) and I almost threw up from the pain.

We had to rest there for another hour of so, until the blood test results came back and then Dr Y would come back and determine what's the problem (he had another patient there at 10am).

At 10 plus, he came back and said based on the HCG level, he was quite sure it wasn't an etopic pregnancy and it was probably an infection. I did ask him how could the infection arise, but he said it could be anything so it couldn't be determined. He gave me a course of antibotics and gave me 6 days of sick leave. 6 days ... I was glad to rest at home, but for 6 days and it's peak time at work!

I called office to let them know I was on sick leave for 6 days and my colleagues were very kind to divide my work among them. I told them I could logon from home to read my emails, but I didn't really do much since I was actually just sleeping all the time.

Darn, just that I was suppose to be going to Penang next week! Now my travel plans are uncertain *sigh*

0 comments: