Sunday, September 16, 2007

A boost to the faltering ego

My ego and self-esteem as a mother have been suffering blows since I've been constantly compared to my helper and how my sweetheart prefers my helper over me. Super irritating but a huge blow to my confidence - so please remember not to do it to your friends or siblings. Unfortunately nothing I can do to shut some of these "well meaning" people up.

It doesn't help that my girl plays the invisible mummy game these days, looking everywhere but my direction. And to rub salt to the wound, she would coo to her daddy and gurgle sweetly at my family when they carry her or play with her.

Work's been tiring so sometimes I conk off once I reached home, so contact time with her is almost zero ...
 
Then ....

On Wednesday I think, she's already fast asleep and I'm tucking into my dinner (9 plus) when I heard her screaming away. I went into the room and my helper was trying to calm her down. We guessed she probably had a nightmare so she's crying very hard. I offered to carry her and pick her up from my helper's arms. The moment she was on my shoulder she stopped crying! I went "WOW" secretly to myself and after 1 min she was fast asleep. So I tucked her into her cot, and she never stirred.

Then I came home late one night again (Friday) and she was fussing away (hubby carrying her) so I took over. After a while she went limp but was still awake - so i guessed she was already sleepy. I carried her, gently swaying while watching TV and after 30 mins, she dozed off without a single compiaint! I sat down and carried her for another 20 mins before the call of the nature was directed to me.
 
On Tuesday night I decided to play peek-a-boo with her and she giggled every single time the cloth was taken away with a flourish ... My heart was a puddle after that :P
 
This afternoon I let her nap with me (the hubby was redesignated to the floor again) and she slept so nicely ... for almost 3 hours! She would stir occasionally, open her eyes, look at me, smile sweetly then her eyes are closed again.
 
Thankfully my girl remembers to give me a little break now and then ... and I feel so much better as a mother ... all the more ready to grovel to her every whim and fancy ...
 

0 comments: