Wednesday, February 13, 2008

To market, to market with a piglet ...

Well, since my girl was born in the year of the Pig, technically she's a piglet!

Anyway, I had been meaning to post this for some time, but it kept slipping my mind (the last case of serious forgetfulness, I FORGOT TO ATTEND MY COOKIES DECORATING CLASS! *SOB* and the fees were paid for already!).

I usually bring Vanessa to the wet market when I do my marketing and my hubby always wondered why - it's noisy, wet and I would be just buying things right?

This particular day that I brought her along, it was the Saturday before the CNY. The fishmonger in this market for some reason starts late, about 830am or so. So by the time I had finished shopping for the veggies, pork and chicken, I went over the fishmonger. We were waiting around his stall as they were still unloading his goods. Since I was carrying my girl, she had the same level of view of the action as me.

As the crowd begins to grow, some aunties started to crowd in front of us. It blocked her view and she did not hesitate to gently "beat" the person in front to show her displeasure. I was like "OH!!! BABY YOU CANNOT BEAT PEOPLE!!!" So as it went, I started moving further towards the back of crowd. The ironical thing was that I wanted the prawns which were already on display. The aunties were just waiting for the fish and in order to grab the good ones, they nudge their way to the front and park themselves there.

In my desperation (I really only wanted the prawns!), I yelled from the back "1kg of prawns! $12!" Unfortunately the fishmonger was busy discussing with the folks upfront about the stock he had for the day. So I tried again and this aunty in front of me went, "Aiyoh, so poor thing, marketing with the baby! Ok I help you!" She barged to the front, got the attention of the fishmonger, got the 1 kg of prawns for me, and collected the money on the fishmonger's behalf. I thanked her (I was so grateful!) and then we gather the rest of our purchase and headed home.

So bringing baby to the market isn't such a bad thing afterall!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

buying from the wet market is ... so auntie :) leslie_

muminthemaking said...

Other than shoes and socks, we don't insult aunties in my blog!

*ROFL* aunties are one of the most feared breed in my workplace for your info!

Anyway, I really don't like the choice of "thawed" meat section in the supermarket. I like the service where they will choose the best cut of meat and then ground the meat 3 times for the easy consumption of my gal. Can you get that service in NTUC?