Thursday, June 25, 2009

Birth of Baby Valentino and more ...

The birth story of Baby Valentino:

1. Woke up at 4:30am to get ready for admissions to the hospital
2. We reached the hospital at 5:25am and went to do the check in.
3. Completed the admissions process in about 20 minutes (gosh, so much documents to sign!)
4. Checked-in to my room - only to find out the admissions office gave us the wrong room (I suspected as much since there was no curtains in the room!)
5. They moved us to the correct room, which was just next to the nursery!
6. Rested for a while, then they came in to prepare me for the op. I spent quite a long time in the loo, think I was quite constipated!
7. Got wheeled to the OT - they parked my bed outside the OT and I fell asleep while waiting.
8. They finally came and wheeled me to the door of the OT, the obgyn and hubby was around to, so we were chit chatting a bit. Surprisingly, I'm not nervous! I supposed, having gone through it once, I more or less know what to expect, so I'm not too worried about what's going to happen in the OT.
9. Finally the anaesthetist arrived (he was late for #1 too!) and they wheeled me into the OT. The pain from the various needles and injections were bearable - since I wasn't nervous, so the anticipation of pain did not magnify the pain at all. At best, the pain was comparable to a big bad ant bite. I did squeeze the nurse arm for reassurance - yes I am a scardy cat at heart when it comes to pain :P
10. This time though, I was very wide awake for the op. I did ask for something to make me sleepy, but it didn't work even they gave me 2 to 3 doses! End up I was listening in to their private conversations (doc to nurse/ doc to doc) and I did chit chat with my hubby too (though I think he was pretty busy looking at the op). This time I did feel some pressure on my tummy area, but definitely no pulling, poking, digging or other sensations that would make me imagine what they were doing to me then. So it was pretty OK.
11. Baby Valentino has arrived with a loud wail! Took some pics and then baby was weighed in at 2.955kg. Hubby said he opened his eyes when he was being weighed.
12. I patiently waited for the obgyn to finish doing his stitching, then I remarked that some of his patients were joking he does embroidery at home to practise his stitching. One of the nurses remarked that some of the docs actually do cross-stitching and their handiworks are excellent!
13. Me bad, I shouldn't have asked for the sleepy medicine ... It made me quite woozy after the op, and with the room spinning when I opened my eyes (I can't even bear to watch TV), I ended up puking a bit ... but by the end of the 6th hour, I couldn't take it, since I was puking on an empty stomach (which to me makes it worse), I secretly took a cup of milo. Truthfully, it made me feel better since it warmed me up and my stomach is not running on empty tank. With the sleepy medicine, I was basically sleeping throughout the day, except to breastfeed and to drink some water. It was quite a good rest, and good excuse too - the nurses caught on to the milo drink and my hubby were "honest" enough to admit I had a few sips of milo. So basically they were kicking up a big fuss over it. Anyway, they didn't say much to me later, since I had stopped puking by then :P
14. Had my official milo drink for dinner - how pathetic ...
15. Had my first official meal in 24 hours - chicken porridge for breakfast!
16. Engorgement set in - PAIN PAIN PAIN *cry* They ran out of cabbage leaves too, so I had to call my mum's place for special delivery.
17. Baby Valentino has mild jaundice so he went for photo therapy - he didn't like it a bit!
18. I was OK-ed to go home and Baby Valentino was OK-ed to go home too, so we got discharged on Tuesday!
19. This mummy was panicky since Baby Valentino hasn't peed since he came back and he was hot! Realised that he may be "overheated" so we quickly wiped him down and changed him ... and then I breastfed him with my rock hard breasts (yes still engorged) but he finally peed. I was out of cabbage leaves so I grabbed all the ice packs (from Royce chocolates!) from the freezer and popped into my bra. 4 on each side ... the relief was indescribable.
20. The confinement nanny called - she's in Singapore even though she was due to arrive only the next morning. I begged her to come over then and there (at 10pm at night) as she was staying at her relative's place. I told her I cannot handle it and Baby Valentino was running a mild temperature. She was nice enough to oblige, and she arrived by 11pm. By then, I had just managed to finish feeding Baby Valentino, put Vanessa to bed, and grabbed a quick dinner. I cannot express my sense of relief ... and she was really very efficient ... she checked on Baby Valentino and arranged her stuff, so she can be ready when Baby Valentino wakes up late for night feeds. In fact, it was so warmed that night she OK-ed my request to on the aircon (I was worried that he may overheat again) and I guess the best surprise for me was that, she was not only pro breast feeding, she was also able to help baby latch on properly and to massage my rock hard breasts!
21. I'm still partially engorged, but it's much better now. After the 2 days of agony, at least most of the ducts have been cleared for the right side, and we are now working on the left side. It's still painful, but at least I see some progress. I was really ready to throw in the towel, because it was really unbearable this round ... hopefully, all the blocked ducts can be cleared by this week, so that my breasts won't be so engorged. I'm also waiting for my medela parts to arrive, so I can start pumping to relieve some of the pressure. I am using my Avent manual pump too, but after using the PISA once, I will want to use the electric dual pump only!
22. We still cannot decide on a name for Baby Valentino *argh*

To be updated ... How Vanessa is taking to her little brother...


0 comments: