Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Our Birth Plan!

(Created from www.birthplan.com)

Our wishes for Childbirth
Due Date: 19 April 2007
Patient of Dr Y
Scheduled to deliver at Thomas Medical Centre.

Feb 21, 2007

Dear Dr Y and the staff of TMC

We have considered carefully the various options and procedures for childbirth, and we have arrived at the following decisions. Thank you for your help in advance!

Sincerely,

Labour

  1. I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
  2. I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
  3. I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor.
  4. I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
  5. I would like to be given ice chips and milo drink during the first stage of labour

Monitoring

  1. I do not want an internal monitor unless My baby has shown some sign of distress.
  2. I wish to have continuous fetal monitoring

Labour Augmentation/Induction

  1. If labour needs to be induced, we prefer to opt for C-section (LA)

Anesthesia/Pain Medication

  1. I may wish to consider to have a standard epidural


Cesarean

  1. If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
  2. I would like My husband present at all times if My baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
  3. I wish to have an epidural for anesthesia
  4. If My baby is not in distress, My baby should be given to me immediately after birth.

Episiotomy

  1. I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby's safety.
  2. I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
  3. I would prefer an episiotomy rather than a tear.
  4. I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.

Delivery

  1. I would like My husband and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
  2. Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming My baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
  3. I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery.
  4. I would like to have My baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

Immediately After Delivery

  1. I would like to have My husband cut the cord.
  2. I do not want a routine injection of pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.
  3. I would like to donate the umbilical cord blood if possible.

Postpartum

  1. Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from My baby.
  2. I would like to have My baby 'room in' after I have had some time to recover.
  3. I would like My baby with me during the day but in the nursery at night.


Breastfeeding

  1. I plan to breastfeed My baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
  2. Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to My baby (including glucose water or plain water).
  3. I do not want My baby to be given a pacifier.
  4. If I am unable to breastfeed after delivery for whatever reason and my baby is hungry, please feed my baby formula milk with a cup

*End*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never knew that there's such a thing as Wishes for Birthing.

-caden28-

muminthemaking said...

haha, I'll leave u to find out more when it's your turn!

Wishes for Birthing aka Birth Plan is good to have, so that if something crops up, you would be prepared for the option you have choosen - instead of leaving to your hubby to decide with the obgyn.

Some would like to go completely natural - no epidural and etc, but when the need arises for C-section or medical intervention, they would be at a loss, because of the options avaiable. So it's good to have an idea of what you want if the need for medical intervention arises. The thing here is that MUST BE OPENED TO OPTIONS. Because we can decide we want only a, but baby's situation could warrant b or c. So you would have to decide b or c on the spot - not a good plan if you are already in pain!

MommytoMeia said...

very detailed... hmm but when the time comes, I doubt u'll have time to think about all those things u've written down... trust me... I've gone thru it.

muminthemaking said...

The birth plan is not for my use - it's an instruction sheet to my hubby! So that when the need arises he can refer to it and instruct the hospital.

This will "reduce" the friction if the need arises for him to make a decision and I'm already conked out - this will guide him to what we want to do for the birth and if my obgyn is around, he can advise my hubby also based on what we had discussed earlier too.

Like if for some reason I had do C-section, then I had fainted for some reason, he has to make the call on his own, without me - so he will have to refer to the plan and advise accordingly.

For men, no instructions are detailed enough ;P