Saturday, January 02, 2010

Family Reunion

I can't adjust back to Singapore time! Ya, now I am wide awake, because it's morning over at Hawaii now! I would be probably either trying to settle #2 or pumping milk, missing the gorgeous sunrise once again, at this time. Thankfully in my room, there's a mirror placed just right so that I could watch the sunrise in the mirror's reflection.

I missed a lot of things ... I missed going on trips at my own whims and fancy, I missed doing what I want and what I like during the trips, and I missing having my own time to "stone out" when watching the skies/ sceneries. But ... I would missed my babies if they don't come along too, so I guess the "what I want to do" bit will just have to wait a little till the kiddos get older.

In anycase, this wasn't a "holiday trip" per se. I hadn't seen my younger sister for about 5 years, since I got married. I had never met her 2 kids, which were born in the same years as mine too. So when she moved to Hawaii, I grabbed the chance to make the trip. The timing was about right - I should be able to clear some leave during this December (I needed to then anyway, otherwise I would have forfeited my annual leave) and next May/ June, I would be busy at work.

The trip would be a lot easier than flying all the way to New York, or so I thought! And this trip turned out to be one massive family trip. In total, 3 families and my mum (13 pax including children) flew in to Hawaii. 13 pax also squeezed into a 4 bedroom vacation rental house, while another 4 pax put up at a service apt as they flew in later. It was chaotic but like old times, when 6 of us used to sleep in 1 bedroom when we were kids. My brother in law cooked most of the times (the one based in Hawaii) and I want his recipes for his cranberry sauce, his scones and belgian waffles! Even V liked his ginger fried rice, which I initally doubted that she would eat it (spicy from the ginger).

We didn't really had the "time" time to catch up since we were all respectively busy with our kids and doing the necessary touristy stuff. It was good to see my sister and her family - the 5 year gap didn't really matter, we just picked up where we left from, and I am so glad she didn't picked up a fako american accent. That would probably have killed me! I am also amazed at her ability to survive as a SAHM with 2 young kids and with no family or social network for support. I'll probably have packed and gone home long time ago!

Now, I am eagerly waiting for their trip to Singapore in a few months time. Hopefully they can stay for 2 months or so, and it would be a good time for the kids to catch up! Now my sister's daugher wants to come here so that she can play with the "other gecko hunters".

Yeah!

0 comments: