Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sugi cookies

We made sugi cookies today and then to my horror, I realised I made a mistake in my sugi recipe posted previously in my other blog (I just corrected it).

Anyway thankfully I had 1 kg of almonds to rescue the dough (I accidentally forgot to halved the oil in the recipe), so anyway, here's the corrected version for prosperity! I'll be making another batch, partly to retest the recipe, and partly because I decided I want pink colour sugi biscuits this year!

Sugi Cookies

Ingredients A
600g plain flour
200g icing sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda (You can add 1 teaspoon instead if you dislike the taste of baking soda)
1 teaspoon baking powder

Ingredients B
3/4 rice bowls/ 250ml Corn Oil

Ingredients C
1 egg yolk plus 1 egg lightly beaten with 4 drops of egg yellow food colouring
Method
1. Sift ingredients A together 3 times (VERY IMPORTANT).

2. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour oil into the center. Mix well into a crumbly dough. Let the dough rest in the mixing bowl for 30 minutes to 1 hour, covered with a wet towel.

3. Divide and roll into balls. Poke the center with the sharper end of a chopstick. Brush with egg wash. Baked at 150°C for 30 minutes (Preheat Oven for at least 20 minutes before baking).

If the cookies taste floury, it means the cookie is under cooked.

Optional:
Add 200g almonds – toasted/ dry fry in a work till fragrant and coarsely grounded the almonds when cooled. Add a bit more oil if dough is too dry. Additional sugar is not required.

0 comments: