Tuesday, April 17, 2007

To BF or not to BF, that is the question ...

(If you are wondering, BF = BreastFeeding, not boyfriend or breakfast)

I've successfully bf-ed for my baby's 1st week, and halfway through the 2nd week, the baby's completely on the bottle while I expressed out the BM (BreastMilk).

Why? To keep my sanity I guess:
1) She'll nurse for 1 hour, then I'll pump for 30 minutes and 30 minutes later, she's hungry again.
2) The guilt that I don't seem to have enough (that's why she nurse for 1 hour) BM
3) The need for my personal time (even while pumping BM is good enough)

The arrangement so far is quite good - I'm less tired, I have time to enjoy my baby, without trying to fiddle with the breasts and nursing bra. Now, I can even plan to nurse her at 9pm feed (she's almost like clockwork - her feed is about every 3 hours) - as in let her have 70% of her usual amount and then I'll supply the rest.

I've 6 weeks more for this arrangement before I return back to work, and I have no idea what will happen then.

As long as baby's happy, I'm happy, she's healthy - I'm good. I don't have to be so anal-retentive about being the best or good or whatever mum, as long as I do the best I can, and I guess that is what matters.

One baby step at a time, even for a mother ...

0 comments: