Saturday, March 10, 2007

High blood pressure and restless limbs

The strange thing was, I remember reading this high blood pressure thingy from She Said/ He Said blog, and it was covered in the most recent copy of Motherhood. So I went to dig out my copy of What To Expect When You're Expecting and did some reading up.

The condition is called Preeclampsia. The following extract is taken from http://www.preeclampsia.org/

Preeclampsia is a disorder that occurs only during pregnancy and the postpartum period and affects both the mother and the unborn baby. Affecting at least 5-8% of all pregnancies, it is a rapidly progressive condition characterized by high blood pressure and the presence of protein in the urine. Swelling, sudden weight gain, headaches and changes in vision are important symptoms; however, some women with rapidly advancing disease report few symptoms.


Well, I know I do have the prolonged swelling of hands and feet (literally legs), that won't go away even if I've slept the night with my feet propped on pillows. The sudden increase of blood pressure (since my visit to Dr Y 3 weeks ago) also makes me wonder I have this condition. I'm not sure about the protein level in my urine, but I have this other condition, aka, restlessness of the limbs. Basically my legs just want to kick, and my arms just wants to twitch. Massage only partially helps to relieve the syndrome but sleep or rest seems to be the best way of getting rid of it.

I'm quite worried since the swelling of my fingers won't go away today - usually by mid-morning the swelling would have gone down quite a bit and I could clench into a fist - my right hand is OK, my left is not! I did borrow a blood pressure monitor and been taking my readings for today, but it did seem to indicate a "normal" blood pressure reading - around the range of 126/77 (for the few times I took). I'm going to try again an hour later, to check if the medication has any effect and if it's responsible for my giddiness. In any case, I'm going to pay a visit to the TCM tomorrow - hopefully she has something to get rid of the water retention plus twitching!

0 comments: