Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Er, say that again?

I was talking to a gf today and out of curiosity, asked her how she would pronounce the name "Keira".

Surprisingly, it was quite similar to my pronounciation, it would be "Key-Air-Ra".

Why? I happened to come across this forum thread discussing this very question and to be honest, I widened my eyes a little. You can access it here.

As my gf puts it, it is a problem when choosing a name for your child. You want it to be unique but you would want it to be easily pronounciable by others. She faced it herself, since most of us had difficulty in pronouncing her son's name "Liam". Most of the time, it sounded like the Hokkien word for "Sticky". However, she found a good way to help people like me remember how to pronounce it - the second half of "Wil-liam". I was like "Geez, that's easy!" I just hope I can remember it!

Someone also told me, a colleague of hers named her child as "Phoebe" but pronounced it as "Foe-Bee" until someone corrected her.

So that's lesson number 1 for me, so "Keira" is out. It's just too much work to debate how your child's name should be pronounced.

0 comments: